Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Guessing Game Lingers

As I posted, I have read with my daughter every night but mostly just the school assigned books. Reading last night with my daughter showed my lowering of intensity. The guessing game was back, although not as severe. The guesses were closer but involved adding an "r" or "l" that was just not in the word. Also different was that I could get my daughter to stop the guessing and look at a word more carefully and realize her mistake. Before I couldn't even get her to look at the letters in the word.

This makes me realize just how hard this battle is going to be from now through June to keep my daughter reading appropriately and not falling back into the bad habits that she gets coached to use at school. If I could take her out and home school her, I would do so.

I also really wish I could tell the school not to do any reading instruction with my daughter all and that I will teach that area. But not only would I expect to be told its their way or the highway, but from what I can tell the methods are so pervasive, that it's not just the reading problems, but it's the invented spelling as well.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you are doing something at home! The Godfrey Method shows parents how to help their kids read early, the right way - phonics! Check it out at http:thegodfreymethod.com

    Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete