Saturday, February 12, 2011

Clarification

I should clarify the previous post. All through this process after I discovered the existence of this problem - when the facade of my daughter having excellent reading skills crumbled away - I have been reading more than the school assigned books and have been reading more time with her. I had been doing this practically every night except for one night of the week when my daughter has gymnastics. We've read books leveled between 2nd and 5th grade.

But this week, I let up a little and just read the school assigned books. I did not review the phonic sounds with her - which, I had been doing periodically. I was tired and we were generally busy. But just that small amount of time of letting up and just doing the school assigned work was enough for some of the bad habits to creep back, even though my daughter knows better. Fortunately, she knows and understands her phonics. It is just a matter of training her to consistently apply them.

My daughter was pretty consistent before this week, but I suspect the teacher, whether knowingly or unknowingly, has worked to undue some of my work. I don't know if she knows what I've been doing at home with the phonics but I believe she probably does know based upon how my daughter reads now. For instance, she was recently moved into the group that reads the chapter books. And, you can hear her sound out words while she's reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment